In 1909 the Girl Scouts – 24 in number – was formed by the Misses Eleanor and Marjorie Baker, who had been enrolled as Girl Scouts in London in 1908. Miss Armstrong helped them.
In 1910 the Girl Scouts were registered as Girl Guides. The 1st Carmarthen Company was the first one to be registered in Wales. 1912 saw the first Company in North Wales, the 1st Denbigh. The Company did not have a Captain but was led by Rosa Ward who had led it as a Patrol Leader. Miss Ward was later appointed County Commissioner for Denbighshire, although she was not yet of age. In 1939 Miss Ward was appointed Chief Commissioner for Wales.
Up to 1938 Wales was administered from Headquarters in London. In 1938 the Council for Wales was formed and the Standing Committee appointed. The Standing Committee met for the first time at the Raven Hotel in Shrewsbury on 22 September 1938. On 8 January the Executive Committee of the Girl Guides Association approved the Standing Committee proposal that the movement in Wales be known as Guides Cymru. In 1949 the Standing Committee became the Executive Committee.
Wales did not have a Chief Commissioner until 1938 when Lady Blythswood was appointed. From 1918 to 1938 there were Deputy Chief Commissioners.
Wales has been privileged to receive many Royal visits throughout the years. In 1921 H.M. King George V attended a rally in Denbigh with the Princess Royal in attendance. H.R.H. The Princess Royal attended the Caernarvonshire and Anglesey rally in 1934 and in 1949 and 1961 visited Broneirion and attended the Centenary Guide and Scout Eisteddfod at Broneirion. H.R.H. The Princess Elizabeth attended the Welsh Biennial Council meeting at the Temple of Peace in Cardiff and visited the camp of 200 Guides and Rangers at Coedarhydyglyn. In 1969 H.R.H. The Princess Margaret visited Broneirion, and in 1970 attended the Diamond Jubilee Eisteddfod at Gregynog Hall and the 75th Anniversary Celebration Eisteddfod at the Royal Welsh Showground, Builth Wells in 1985. Fifty years of Guiding at Broneirion was honoured by another visit by H.R.H. The Princess Margaret when she visited the Flower Festival at Broneirion and planted a tree in the front lawn.
Training has been an important part of Guiding in Wales. The first large training to take place was in St James, West Malvern. 150 Guiders took part. Training was held in every county in Wales and over 1,000 Commissioners and Guiders took part.
The first camp was held at Segrwyd where the Guides slept in a stable. The first Guiders Training Camp was held at Llandudno in 1920.
The arts have been well represented in the history if Guiding in Wales. The Hon. Mrs Walter Roche for competition by Guide Choirs, presented the Welsh Bardic Standard. Over the years several pageants and Eisteddfodau have been held. Because of the dedicated training given by the camping and arts teams Wales has been able to send strong contingents of girls and young women to international camps worldwide.
Through the generosity of Lady Davies, Broneirion became the Welsh Training Centre in 1946 when The Chief Guide opened it. After consultation with all members, the decision was made to buy Broneirion and take up a five year lease on Ynysgain, the outdoor activities centre in Criccieth. £510,000 was raised in eleven months to buy Broneirion and set up an endowment fund. On Monday 28 June 1993, Broneirion was officially re-opened by the late Hon. Betty Clay, daughter of Lord and Lady Baden-Powell, who was assisted by her daughter, Mrs Gill Clay, D.L.