The County Standard was given to the County by Major Richard (Black Watch) in memory of his late wife. The standard wa presented on his behalf by her sister at the County Rally in 1933, held at Leighton Hall.
The emblems on the Standard are:-
The Guide Badge
The Montgomeryshire Lion Rampant
Two cross bars bearing the words “Fidelity and Remembrance”
Followed by three sprays of Rosemary
And through the length of the Standard the River Severn
The county of Montgomeryshire lies deep in the heart of Mid-Wales.
Montgomeryshire stretches from the tidal waters of the Dyfi (Dovey) in the west to the English borders in the east, 790 square miles of beautiful uplands and green valleys.
In the north the River Vyrnwy flows through wonderful countryside, from the striking Berwyn Mountains to the Vale of Meifod. In the west the uplands of Pumlumon (Plynlimon) give birth to two of Britain’s finest rivers, the Severn and the Wye. The Severn valley sweeps majestically through eastern Montgomeryshire and provides the main route into the county for visitors.
Principally a rural county, farming is the backbone and heart of most Montgomeryshire communities, from the fertile valley of the River Severn to the remote hill farms.
The counties of Montgomeryshire, Breconshire and Radnorshire now form the unitary authority of Powys.
Mrs. Sue Cusack
Click here to contact us.