Carmarthen sits in the heart of the West Wales agricultural community, as it has for centuries.
One of the oldest Roman towns in Wales, Carmarthen originates from AD75 and the Roman fortress town of Maridunum. A roman amphitheatre remains on the eastern outskirts of the town today, one of only seven in Britain.
Legend has it that Carmarthen was the birthplace of Merlin, the wizard of Arthurian folklore. A tree known as Merlin’s oak stood in the town until the early 1980s (by which time it was a gnarled stump supported by concrete). Local myths said that if the oak ever fell, Carmarthen would be flooded. The oak was eventually carted off to a museum, and in 1987 the River Towy burst its banks and Carmarthen was swamped.
The History of Girl Guides in Carmarthenshire is believed to have started in around 1908 when the Baker sisters formed a Guide Company in Carmarthen town.
Our County Standard was designed by Agneta Stepney-Gulston, the first County Commissioner and was dedicated in 1924.
The Guide Badge and the Guide Motto in Welsh ” Byddwch yn Barod” (Be Ready) are embroidered in gold. The two divisions are represented by a castle for the rural east and a one masted galley for the industrial west.
Our new County Badge unites the old and the new pictures of Carmarthenshire, from early settlement of Romans to the modern era of technology of the Botanical Gardens. We now have five Divisions in the County where we have all sections represented, Rainbows, Brownies, Guides, Rangers and Senior Section. We are going from strength to strength in our county and we would hope to have sufficient volunteer Leaders to enable every girl and young women to have the opportunity to join Girlguiding Carmarthenshire.
Mrs S Bassett
Click here to contact us.